Thursday, April 12, 2012

April 12athon: Sleepy Edition (RWB)

So I was going to do a Nighthawk this month. I thought about going out right at midnight but then decided I was tired and I’d get up and do it in the morning. I figured I’d be a bit tired and so I planned to allow for 12-minute miles. For some reason I determined that this meant starting at 4am would work because I could do 6 miles per hour and still have 20 minutes to spare before sunrise at 6:20. This is what happens when your job only requires the ability to count to four; I mean, I used to be Captain of the Math Team.

Still too early.

It occurred to me after about an hour that I’d made a slight miscalculation and was not going to finish before 6:20 at my current pace, so I napped for an hour or so and then went back out in time to catch the sunrise.


It took another half an hour for the sun to actually be visible over the trees, so I took another picture just for fun. Then I almost ran into a lady walking her dog because I’d been looking right at the sun to take a picture of it. Oops.


I also actually did bump into a (parked, bright red) car. It’s possible this had something to do with drinking two glasses of wine starting at 4am, but I’m also just sort of generally challenged in the spatial awareness department.


I've determined that really early in the morning is a great time for Sisyphus. You know when you drive somewhere when you're tired and at some point realize that you have no recollection whatsoever of getting from your starting point to your present location? There were several times that I thought to myself, 'Gee, I thought I just ran past this house; I don't remember that last lap at all' -- and then looked at my watch and realized I'd just done THREE laps since I last actually remembered passing that spot.


Although I did run past this one lady for three consecutive laps: on the first she was setting out a squirrel trap, on the second she was walking her dog and asked me to go around because he's blind, and on the third she said I was making everyone look bad, especially since I 'wasn't even wearing running shoes'. I guess she thought the toe-shoes were just a fashion statement?

Numbers:
Distance Run: 12 miles
Active Running Time: 2:52:46
Pace: 14:23 -- I am hoping that perhaps if I keep running I can qualify for Boston when I'm about 90. It wasn't so much that I was physically tired because of the early hour as that it took slightly longer than usual for my brain to remember that I had to pick up my feet again after putting them down.
Temperature: 42 (woot!) I know this because there's a house with a big window on the other side of the block and they were watching The Weather Channel.

1 comment:

  1. This is pretty much the most hilarious recap ever. Nice run!

    ReplyDelete